Post 13 -by Gautam Shah
Projects in Design Organizations : A project is a comprehensive work module, offered by a client. A project is accepted, if analogous to the policy goals of the organization. In Design organizations a project requires distinctive human skills. In Manufacturing organizations there is a heavy dependence on tools, equipment and plants, so the projects are identified for their efficient use. Service organizations are governed by time as key element, so thrive on projects that are time intensive. Projects are divided into smaller units or jobs that are mainly based on routine efforts. Jobs also arrive from internal users like departments.
Job or Assignments in a Design Organization : A Project is first dealt by a single person, a core group of partner experts or by the entire team of owners. The project may then be handed over to a team leader for further definition. A Job is a trade, skill or schedule specific work modules. It allows individualized attention and effective use of the available resources. Its efficiency of execution or operation can be examined and upgraded independently of other jobs. Jobs are handled on continuous as well as batch bases.
Job or Assignment Handling : Organizations that repeatedly handle very large and complex assignments develop specific departments. Such specific job handling capacities are universal across that class of organizations. So spare capacities are offered to others, and excess work is outsourced. Jobs of routine nature are handled productively within the organization, but novel needs are better outsourced.
Elements of Jobs in Design Organizations : Design organizations operate with jobs, which have SIX basic elements:
1 Person/ s who assign the tasks, determine roles, perform the tasks, oversee or supervise the task performers.
2 A job consists of Non physical things like, concepts, ideas, themes, and physical things like parts, objects, raw materials.
3 A job requires Information or data as external inputs from clients, internal inputs from organization’s own search, archived data, evaluations, judgments, employees’ know-how, site reports, feedback, by manipulation of various inputs.
4 A job is based on ancillary facilities like Tools, plants, equipments, space, location facilities, methodology, formulations, processes, schedules, acquisition and disposal systems.
5 A job needs Services like conveyance, transport logistics, communication, storage, data management, welfare, resources management, public relations, goodwill.
6 Jobs are dependent on Time as Schedules of delivery, servicing, rate of operation, rate of returns.
Other activities of the organizations : Prime activity of any organization is to earn a gain, but simultaneously many Conventional activities also occur within the organization.
1 Activities for the Sustenance of the organization as a functional entity.
- Determination and Evaluation of aims, policies, goals.
- Planning and deployment of financial resources
- Planning and Acquisition of other facilities
- Procurement and Upkeep of assets
- Personnel Management.
2 Peripheral Activities of the organization that add to the advantages for the organization.
- Public relations
- Client relations
- Other relations such as the contractors, suppliers, co-professionals, associates, consultants, free lancers, etc.
- Facilitating the execution of assignments like raw material procurement, materials handling, erection, execution, manufacturing processes, testing.
- Tasks’ evaluations like quality controls, testing, certification.
- Marketing of goods, services, billing, money collection.
- Servicing like post execution or delivery, servicing, maintenance, guarantees.
3 Activities for Efficiency and Productivity of the organization
- Determination and definition of procedures
- Standardization of inputs, outputs and procedures
- Information collection, Inquisitions, investigations and surveys,
- Installation and management of information storage, manipulation and retrieval devices
- Publications and dissemination of organization’s output (data, concepts, ideas) material.
05 JOBS or ASSIGNMENT HANDLING in Design Organizations –part of the lecture series DESIGN IMPLEMENTATION PROCESSES